I’m pretty excited to be going back to Portland since the last time I was there was back in July. T has been in Portland, but for a like a couple of hours (he went years ago with a friend who went up for a job interview). Since he’s never really explored the city I thought it would be a great place to go to celebrate his birthday.
This upcoming trip is going to feature a lot of food and beer (especially since I’m trying to cut out hard liquor). Also, with it raining, we are not able to go on our BrewBarge. And because of the wildfires a couple of months ago (and the rain) all the hikes we wanted to do are no longer an option (I’m really sad about not being able to go to Oneonta Gorge.
Anyways! Here are the places I plan to check out in the couple of days that I’m in Portland:
- Nong’s Khao Man Gai: Chicken and Rice plate – I’ve personally never had this, but I hear great things about it
- Pok Pok: Ike’s Vietnamese Fish Sauce Wings – the regular and spicy wings are THE ONE
- Bollywood Theater: I’ve walked passed this place almost every trip I’ve had and the aromas are always mouthwatering. I need to check it out.
- Pine State Biscuits: The Reggie Deluxe and The Money Ball. That mushroom gravy on everything please!
- Little Big Burger: The hamburger, truffle fries, the sauce, and a root beer. Seriously, all that you need. If i could, I’d eat here everyday.
- Tasty N Alder: I’ve been eyeing the Duck Duck Steak! Hopefully we don’t get stuck with a 2.5 hour wait.
- Salt & Straw: Their Arbequina Olive Oil and Honey Lavender ice cream… NOMZ!! I also want to try one of their October/Halloween flavors. Maybe a sample spoonful of the Creepy Crawly Critters (with dark chocolate covered crickets and coconut-brittle mealworms).
- Wiz Bang Bar: I really want to try the Roasted Strawberry Coconut soft serve with the Oregon Black Raspberry shell.
- Blue Star: Why go to VooDoo Donuts when you can go to Blue Star, where the donuts are Instagram worthy and delicious! There’s a bunch of donuts I really enjoy from Blue Star, as well as a bunch that I still need to try. Maybe I can just get a box of: Hard Apple Cider Fritter, Lemon Poppy, The OG, Real Maple Bacon, Blueberry Bourbon Basil, Cointreau Creme Brulee, Meyer Lemon & Key Lime Curd, Raspberry Rosemary Buttermilk, and Buttermilk Old Fashion. Hopefully they have all of that!
- Commons Brewery: Not really sure which beers to check out here, but I’ve been reading and hearing from other people that I should check out this brewery, so it’s definitely on our To-Do.
- Killer Pumpkin Fest: They have a Pumpkin Beer Festival part of the Killer Brew Week. Not really into Pumpkin beers, but why not check them out?
- Game Knight Lounge: This spot is a bar that has a bunch of board games you can play. Something to do at night perhaps?
- Base Camp Brewing: One thing I want to try: S’more Stout.
- Deschutes Brewery: One of T’s favorite beers is Deschutes’ Freshly Squeezed. Since the brewery is right by our hotel, why not go?